Sunday 5 February 2012

Board / Card Games: 8th Annual BattleBall Tournament

Board / Card Games
Get the latest headlines from the Board / Card Games GuideSite. // via fulltextrssfeed.com
8th Annual BattleBall Tournament
Feb 5th 2012, 11:52

BattleBallYesterday, my wife and I hosted TSBSBSGD8. (What? The acronym? Ah... The Saturday Before Super Bowl Sunday Game Day 8.) The highlight -- as it is every year -- was an annual BattleBall tournament. A record 17 people took part in the tournament this year, with Mike Holmquist taking home the top honors by defeating his daughter Heather Spangenberg in the finals. (He defeated his other daughter in the second round. And, yes, the seedings are completely random.)

Sadly, I was once again eliminated in the first round -- this year, by the eventual champion. Something about an ill-advised long pass attempt to a wide receiver when my heavy tackle had the ball and could probably have marched in for the game-winning touchdown. (I won the tournament once, back in 2007, but I've fallen on hard times ever since.)

FaunaOf course, that early elimination gave me plenty of time to play other games, including Fauna, 7 Wonders, The Resistance (3x), Witch's Brew, Black Friday, Kung Fu Fighting, and Ice Flow. Fauna (designed by Friedemann Friese, published by FoxMind) was a standout. It's for 2 to 6 players, ages 8 and up, and it's a trivia game (sort of) about animals. In each round, an animal is randomly revealed and players bet (sort of) on where the animal lives, how much it weighs, and how long or tall it is.

I'll post a complete review of Fauna soon. For now, I'll just say that it's a remarkably fun game that I highly recommend for anyone fascinated by wildlife around the world.

Image courtesy of Hasbro

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment